The Brooks Stevens philosophy runs through all of us in everything we do on the board, in the field, or in the prototype shop. We are precocious thinkers, makers, designers and engineers known for surprises. Let's talk.
Senior Mechanical Designer
We are searching for a seasoned Mechanical Designer reporting to the Director of Engineering. This person will provide technical and creative ideas, grounded in his or her prior learned mechanical design and manufacturing principles. Brooks Stevens’ projects involve average complexity, requiring fast and complete work to both profit the Client and to support Brooks Stevens’ growth.
This position requires an Associate Degree in Mechanical Design Technology or equivalent and 6 years (minimum) working experience in a prior CAD-intensive position collaborating closely with mold and tool designers.
- Creative, passionate, and logical problem solving abilities.
- Experience working within a gated new product development process.
- Fundamental literacy in metal castings, sheet metal fabrication, thermoforming, and FRP design elements.
- Proven and advanced experience with injection molded plastic parts (material selection, snap fits, structural ribbing, design-for-molding and post-processing).
- Advanced 3D surfacing and modeling skills with particular strength in one or more of three codes: SolidWorks, PTC Creo, or Autodesk Fusion 360.
- Advanced ability to calculate 2D and 3D tolerances and communicate essential form and fit dimensions through GD&T on detail drawings.
- Sensitivity to aesthetics and form development.
- Ability to communicate and present effectively.
- Ability to manage time effectively.
- Research, conceptualize and develop designs for various industries and markets, working under the Engineering Director, Lead Mechanical Engineer, or Senior Mechanical Engineer.
- Use time effectively, creatively, and productively to complete tasks within accelerated schedules and firm budgets, to meet and exceed the Client’s expectations.
- Collaborate closely with Industrial Designers to incorporate the form, aesthetic, psychological, and emotional design elements, to assure the proper interface between the end user and the final product.
- Produce the detail drawing and written documentation necessary to convey critical design attributes to the Client’s manufacturing stakeholders. Requires that the candidate rapidly produce solid models, mechanical drawings and written reports.
Growth and Development:
- Increase knowledge and skills in all areas of mechanical design including materials, construction, manufacturing processes, technology trends, software applications, and presentation skills.
- A continuing focus upon self-improvement, improvement of internal workings at Brooks Stevens, and elevating the external impression of the firm.