The Brooks Stevens philosophy runs through all of us in everything we do on the board, in the field, or in the prototype shop. We are precocious thinkers, makers, designers and engineers known for surprises. Let's talk.
Senior Mechanical Designer
We are searching for a seasoned Mechanical Designer reporting to the Director of Engineering. This person will provide technical and creative ideas, grounded in his or her prior learned mechanical design and manufacturing principles. Brooks Stevens’ projects involve average complexity, requiring fast and complete work to both profit the Client and to support Brooks Stevens’ growth.
This position requires an Associate Degree in Mechanical Design Technology or equivalent and 5 years (minimum) working experience in a prior CAD-intensive position collaborating closely with mold and tool designers.
- Creative, passionate, and logical problem solving abilities.
- Experience working within a gated new product development process.
- Fundamental literacy in metal castings, sheet metal fabrication, thermoforming, and FRP design elements.
- Proven and advanced experience with injection molded plastic parts (material selection, snap fits, structural ribbing, design-for-molding and post-processing).
- Advanced 3D surfacing and modeling skills with particular strength in one or more of three codes: SolidWorks, PTC Creo, or Autodesk Fusion 360.
- Advanced ability to calculate 2D and 3D tolerances and communicate essential form and fit dimensions through GD&T on detail drawings.
- Sensitivity to aesthetics and form development.
- Ability to communicate and present effectively.
- Ability to manage time effectively.
- Research, conceptualize and develop designs for various industries and markets, working under the Engineering Director, Lead Mechanical Engineer, or Senior Mechanical Engineer.
- Use time effectively, creatively, and productively to complete tasks within accelerated schedules and firm budgets, to meet and exceed the Client’s expectations.
- Collaborate closely with Industrial Designers to incorporate the form, aesthetic, psychological, and emotional design elements, to assure the proper interface between the end user and the final product.
- Produce the detail drawing and written documentation necessary to convey critical design attributes to the Client’s manufacturing stakeholders. Requires that the candidate rapidly produce solid models, mechanical drawings and written reports.
Growth and Development:
- Increase knowledge and skills in all areas of mechanical design including materials, construction, manufacturing processes, technology trends, software applications, and presentation skills.
- A continuing focus upon self-improvement, improvement of internal workings at Brooks Stevens, and elevating the external impression of the firm.
Senior Industrial Designer
Are you looking for a new team where you can grow your skills, mentor others and chase perfection? If so, we want to meet you. Brooks Stevens is a consortium of shapers and makers – ready to pick up the torch and bring true market changing product design to those we collaborate with. Because the world waits for no one, we never wait to make it innovative, make it superior and make it now. We are hunting a senior industrial designer that sees the glory in our 83-year-old wrinkles and understands that behind the thousands of products we have designed is the young hungry visionary. This is not a job search, our next teammate is seeking us; the creative haven for design, where the user still reigns supreme and challenging the status quo is what we do in our sleep.
Brooks Stevens is looking to partner with a multi-faceted industrial designer to join our North American Design team. You will be part of a team of industrial designers, engineers, and fabricators that work collaboratively to bring world-class products to market. You will work directly with clients on projects through all phases of the Brooks Stevens’ process. We are looking for a designer that has an intimate understanding of empathy, form, function, and making. At Brooks Stevens, you will be responsible for delivering excellent design in a fast-paced environment. The industrial designer must be able to demonstrate their ability to work at a professional design level, focused on user experience while balancing client needs and many other variables.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Solid understanding of manufacturing materials and processes
- Advanced sketching, rendering, and hands on modeling
- Intermediate understanding of engineering principles
- Strong ability to communicate and present effectively
- Ability to manage time, budgets, and assigned manpower resources
- Advanced skills in 2D and 3D applications such as Alias, SolidWorks, Adobe CS Suite.
- Ability to lead internal design reviews, measure the work of others, and motivate staff.
- Exceptional thoroughness and reliability
- Support Marketing and Business development onsite at clients’ locations as necessary
- Participate in design community via IDSA and student mentoring
- Track various relevant trends and keep the team informed of latest advances
- Provide world class level of service for our clientele
Education and Experience Profile
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design (BA or BS) from an accredited school.
- Five to seven years Industrial Design experience, preferably in automotive or consumer products
- Anticipate and respond to project needs to ensure deliverables meet or exceed expectations.
- Communicate pertinent aspects of the design solutions internally and externally via tools such as renderings, models, mechanical drawings, and written reports.
- Define, quote, monitor, and review discipline-specific activities and approaches for projects of above-average complexity.
- Ability to coordinate additional resources such as prototyping and engineering to complete projects within timeframes and budgets.
- Assist in identifying and implementing “design tools” which will enhance BSI’s efficiency, effectiveness and quality of services.
- Avid desire to expand the practice and theory of design at Brooks Stevens